Throughout the state of Florida, accident-related injuries cost residents in excess of hundreds of thousands in lost wages, medical bills and legal fees each year. At times, accidents cause catastrophic injuries which can lead to permanent disability or death. When these accidents are caused by negligence, the at-fault party may be held financially responsible for the victim’s injuries. Florida’s growing population has contributed to a steady flow of personal injury lawsuits.
In any case where an accident results in injury, a qualified personal injury attorney can help to protect a victim’s rights. An established personal injury lawyer with case experience in the different regions of the state of Florida can help injury victims succeed in recovering damages for medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Common Types of Accidents – Florida Personal Injury Attorney Practice Areas
- Car Accidents: Car crashes are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) among people of legal driving age in the state of Florida, as well as across the rest of the US.
- Boating Accidents: Florida is a large peninsula, surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. Brain injuries caused by drowning accidents often result from boater inexperience or alcohol consumption.
- Burn Injuries: Burns can occur due to negligent workplace conditions. Around the home, scalds are the most common burn among small children and sometimes occur due to negligent supervision by a nanny or babysitter.
- Defective Products & Dangerous Drug Side Effects: Medical devices, such as pelvic mesh implants, have caused severe complications or infections in patients. Dangerous medications have also lead to severe injuries in some patients. In contrast, faulty auto tires have led to blowouts and catastrophic injuries produced by vehicle rollover accidents.
- Injuries to Minors: Common injuries to children can involve defective toys, dog bites, burns/scalds, sports injuries (TBI & broken bones). Injuries are not always immediately visible and can also stem from child abuse. Parents or loved ones must intervene immediately if they suspect negligence or abuse is behind physical or emotional injuries to a minor.
- Motorcycle Accidents: About 42% of motorcycle crashes involve motorists who fail to see the motorcycle and then turn in front of the rider, causing a crash and serious injury.
- Nursing Home Abuse / Negligence: At least 60% of nursing home patients will experience a slip and fall accident each year. Many cases of nursing home falls result from negligent supervision of residents who are particularly prone to falls.
- Pedestrian Accidents / Bicycle Accidents: Florida is widely known for its dangers to pedestrians and cyclists. The state of Florida ranks #2 on the US pedestrian accident list. Accidents often involve a pedestrian or bicyclist and a single automobile, but may also involve pedestrians and motorcycles or even pedestrians and bicycle riders. Severe injuries can result in any one of these cases.
- Slip and fall accidents: Falls result in nearly 1,000,000 emergency room visits each year. Many occur among the elderly and nursing home residents while others occur due to dangerous workplace conditions.
Personal Injury Lawyers Serving the Residents of Florida
In a large number of personal injury claims, the injured person often faces large insurance companies, adjusters, and other attorneys representing the party at fault. Florida accident victims should seek legal counsel and discuss their case with an experienced personal injury lawyer. A reputable can help guide injury victims forward through any necessary next steps in the civil lawsuit process.