Tampa Car Accident Lawyers
What to do after your car accident
- The days hours, days, weeks and months that follow your accident have the ability to impact your recovery and what your life will look like for years beyond your accident. In the immediate days following your car accident it can seem overwhelming, but if you take these actions you can help the process and protect yourself.
- Get medical care: Following your crash, make sure you seek appropriate medical attention as it can take days before symptoms show the full extent of your injuries.
- Take note of all information: The time before you leave the scene of the accident can provide pivotal records of what has happened during your accident. Take photos of any damage, contact information of the other driver and their insurance company, and anything else about the scene that seems impactful to your accident can prove invaluable during the life of your case.
- Consult one of our lawyers: Our team has the experience built over decades in the practice of personal injury in the Tampa area and statewide across Florida, and we want to help you through this difficult process. The expert car accident attorneys and our support staff at Vanguard Attorneys have gone through this process with countless other clients and can provide assistance with all aspects following your car accident including doctor’s appointments, medical bills and the other person’s insurance company.
Do I need a Car Accident Attorney?
- No one plans to find themselves in a car accident, and the resulting chaos can overwhelm anyone. We want to help you through this complex process and make sense of what can seem like unending paperwork and confusing legal actions. Insurance laws in Florida produce complex legal questions and pitfalls that can force people in to settlements that will not cover the cost of their injuries and damage to their vehicle. Our car accident lawyers have the necessary legal expertise and understanding to assist you through this process, and help you try to get the results you want.
- For our clients, we are able to help negotiate with the other person’s insurance company as well as keep track of all your medical bills and other costs associated with your accident. The insurance companies are trying to settle cases like yours every day and they count on your inexperience with their tricks. However, our lawyers at Vanguard Attorneys can help you navigate the confusing process to try and get you what you deserve. Our firm prides itself of working as trial experts and we will fight for you, all the way to a court trial if the insurance company will not provide a fair settlement.
Let’s Talk about PIP Coverage and what it means for you
- The coverage that all Floridians must carry is called Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. When an accident occurs, this coverage will cover the cost of damages to a certain extent. However, PIP coverage can limit your ability to take legal actions, so immediately after a crash it is vital that you contact a car accident lawyer to help handle this process.
- When it comes to PIP coverage, you must seek medical care for any injuries from your accident within 14 days of the crash. We also need to discuss how PIP coverage works when you have suffered from an emergency medical condition, a medical condition that requires immediate medical attention and could reasonable be expected to result in serious jeopardy to the patient’s health. In these types of situations PIP coverage will typically pay for 80% of your medical expenses and 60% of lost wages, depending on the language of the policy. The PIP coverage can partially compensate your financial losses such as medical bills, property damages and lost wages. However, to file a personal injury claim in addition to the PIP coverage, you must have suffered from serious and/or permanent injuries from the crash.
Dealing with your insurance company
- Under Florida law, registered vehicles require a driver to carry car insurance. As paying customers, we expect our insurance providers to cover our policy limits. However, a myriad of complexities can occur when handling a personal injury claim following a car accident. Unfortunately, insurance companies may refuse to pay a full claim and try to leave you with without the compensation needed to pay things like your medical bills.
- Our team of lawyers in Tampa can work with the insurance companies to ensure your claim meets the complex requirements and investigate all aspects of your accident to create a claim that demonstrates that the other driver was at-fault and therefore bares the burden of your losses. At Vanguard Attorneys we begin preparing for trial as soon as take on your case and prepare for any argument the insurance company may have against paying your claim.
Some Common Causes of Car Accidents
- In most cases, car accidents occur when drivers fail to practice safe driving habits. In fact, many car crashes are caused by the following:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Fatigued driving
- Impatient driving (speeding, unsafely switching lanes, tailgating, etc.)
- Physically distracted driving (putting on makeup, eating, etc.)
- Unmaintained automobiles (improperly secured materials, non-properly functioning brakes, broken turn signals, unlit headlights, etc.)
- Visually distracted driving (texting, rubbernecking, failing to pay proper attention)
- When you suffer injuries in a car accident as a result of another driver’s negligent, careless or reckless actions, our team in Tampa can provide seasoned legal counsel in order to pursue compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress and more. Regardless of the type of car accident you are involved in, our car accident attorneys have handled just about every type of cases and know how to handle complex and what some may see as unwinnable cases.
We Consult with Industry Experts to Solidify your Claim
- Many insurance companies have in-house lawyers who defend all of their claims, so they prefer to take a case to court rather than settle. Our team of car accident attorneys have experience at trial and begin preparing your case for trial as soon as we take a case. We know how to litigate in Florida courts, and we will give you every advantage in a courtroom. After a complex and difficult auto accident, you could focus on a quick settlement, but for Vanguard Attorneys the most important part of the work we do is making sure that we can help our clients navigate what comes next for them and how to handle these new steps.
- When handling your Tampa personal injury case, we will prepare with field experts to testify in a variety of areas including:
- Accident reconstruction
- Forensic economics: the calculation of financial damages in litigation.
- Forensic toxicology: the use of toxicology and disciplines such as analytical chemistry, pharmacology and clinical chemistry to aid medical or legal investigation of death, poisoning and drug use.
- Hedonics: refers to compensation for the loss of enjoyment or value of life and sometimes can mean the lost intangible value of life.
- Life care planning: the plan for the lifetime needs of someone who suffers a permanent injury resulting in a disability.
- Seatbelt function
- We consult with these experts and they can explain how the car accident occurred and the impact it has had on your life.
Understanding the value of your claim
- After a car accident, your expectations of what comes next can result in confusion and frustration and our Tampa car accident lawyers are here to help protect you and make sense of your next steps. We offer our clients a free consultation and will review the facts of your case to help you determine what next steps you should take, and if you will need to file a suit against an insurance company.
- When it comes to determining the value of your claim our personal injury lawyers take multiple variables in to account including:
- Future lost wages: if your injuries from your accident require you to miss work for a significant amount of time, you may have a right to the wages that you would have potentially earned during that time.
- Lost wages: the compensation that you could have earned
- Medical bills: the cost associated with any doctors’ visits, scans, or treatments for injuries caused by your accident
- Pain and suffering: this form of compensation can include coverage for treatment of anxiety, depression, fear and other mental injuries causing distress or mental anguish
- Funeral costs: a family member may have the ability to recover some of the damages from the list here, as well as funeral costs and death-related expenses if they lose a loved one in an accident.
If you’d like to speak with a Tampa car accident attorney about your case, contact Vanguard Attorneys without delay.